Toddlers & Two Year Age Group
The second year of a child's life are ones of phenomenal growth. All of the senses are brought into full play. Children are continuously investigating their environment by observing, touching, listening, smelling and tasting.
Each day marks the beginning of a new adventure for two year olds. They are receptive to any sensory stimulation found in their surroundings. Activities that foster positive growth and development are important in providing a nurturing environment during these formative years. In addition to a child's surroundings, there are several other basic conditions which contribute to the developmental processes in two year olds. Among these are:
- Tender loving care
- Allowing a child time to be an observer before becoming a participant.
- Freedom to repeat activities - repetition is part of the learning process.
- Opportunity to work independently without adult assistance unless it is sought.
- Encouragement when performing tasks; knowing that the execution of any job is more important than the final product.
Beginning with our two year old class
We use a research based, developmentally appropriate program called "Early Start". Each month our program provides new activities in math, science, reading readiness, colors, shapes, alphabetical letters and sounds, pre-writing, thinking skills and discussions. To enhance these activities we provide poems, finger plays, songs, stories, games, movement and physical activities, cooking, and craft ideasl. Each day's activities are designed to involve each child in the learning process both mentally and physically. The activity provided for each day reviews the learning activities of the day and gives each child a (take-home) to share with his or her family. This activity paper, along with our monthly parent newsletter, keeps families informed of the learning activities provided by Valley Child Care.
Included in our program are innovative, high-interest activities which are designed to keep children eager, busy, and ready to learn. To the adult they may seem like fun and games but to the child these activities are work. As the well-known saying goes; "Play is a child's work, so let the fun begin!"
Our program includes the following:
- Reading Readiness Skills
- Hands-on Math
- Science Made Easy
- Drama, Guided Discussions
- Cooking in the Classroom
- Puppets, Hats, 3-D projects
- Original Stories, Rhymes, Games, Songs & Fingerplays
- A Special of Ours.... Early Start Make-a-Book
- Monthly Newsletters for Parents